Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Turkey Meatloaf

I love comfort foods and meatloaf is one of my favorites. I recently found a recipe in Every Day with Rachael Ray that put a new twist on the typical meatloaf.

One of my favorite things to do is take recipes and rework them and that is exactly what I did with this dish.


In the Every Day with Rachael Ray version the featured meat is beef. The dish also included salsa and whole cheese. I have been trying to eat healthy whenever possible, so I decided to make the dish with turkey. I also substituted some other ingredients to make this meatloaf something that I will enjoy eating over and over again!
(I think it would be good with lamb, venison or a combination of meats as well.)

The dish takes about 20 minutes to prepare and bakes for 45 minutes. In just over an hour you will have a delicious comfort food dinner, that is just as good on day two as day one.

All that for under $15.00!



Turkey Meatloaf

Ingredients:

1 lb Lean Ground Turkey

(1) 14.5 Oz. can Diced Tomatoes (you may used flavored if you like, I buy the seasoned with Basil, Garlic and Oregano)

(2) 12 oz. jars of Flame Roasted Peppers

2% Milk Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican Blend

Bread Crumbs

(1) Medium Onion Chopped

(2) Eggs

Salt

Pepper


Pre-heat oven to 375



In a skillet, brown the ground turkey over medium heat. When turkey is browned drain fat through colander.


While turkey is browning, chop onion

Cover bottom of baking dish with roasted red pepper strips and a small handful of grated cheese


In large bowl combine turkey, onion, bread crumbs, diced tomatoes, eggs, salt and pepper




Mix ingredients with your hands and add to the baking dish


Bake for 10 minutes and then cover with cheese




Cook another 35 minutes until done




And that is Turkey Meatloaf, Home Made Easy



No comments: