Friday, June 27, 2008

Button Up Your Picture Frame

When I am crafting, one of the things I like to do most is "update" a project.

Recently I have found that using old buttons is a great way to make something old, new again, giving a great unique look to a traditional item.

Using buttons I recently made a plain wooden picture frame into something worthy of a cherished family photo.

Check it out, this is Home Made Easy....

What's Needed....

A plain picture frame

Variety of buttons

Hot glue gun

Clippers


Using large buttons as a backdrop and for interest, these usually need to have the loops clipped off the back. Clipping the first button allows you to create a solid base that you can then build on. Using the glue gun, I start in the corner of my frame and then add to the creation.


As you add buttons the dimension of the design will become evident. Be creative with the buttons, I try to keep an overall color scheme but use a variety of styles to create interest.

As you finish up with one side, accent the design with smaller beads, interesting colors and theme buttons.

After completing one side of the frame, move on. If you are doing all sides just continue the process around.

For this frame I chose to only do two sides, I thought it made the frame more interesting and highlighted the beauty of the original wood. I don't try to match the sides; however, I do try to balance them, but never match.

I think these frames are fun and makes the photo chosen for display even more special. Placed next to an oversize decor piece the frame provides a one of a kind point of interest.


A beautiful picture frame, buttoned up.... Home Made Easy.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.